La Salle exam and academic update: 4/20/20
Greetings La Salle students and families,
We hope you enjoyed the week off from school work and had time to recharge, celebrate Easter with your family, catch up on some home improvement projects or hobbies, do some soul work and focus on your mental health.
Today Governor Mike DeWine ordered that all of Ohio’s public, community and private K-12 school buildings remain closed to students for the remainder of the 2019-20 academic school year due to the COVID-19 health crisis. We have been actively engaged with remote learning since March 17 and intend to finish strong during the remaining weeks. We will share updates on specific celebrations and events as we finalize things. In the meantime, we know you have questions. Below are the latest updates regarding grades, testing, service hours and spring sports.
- Due to the complex nature of distance learning, we will NOT have second-semester exams this year.
- Final grades for year-long classes will be calculated averaging the following nine data points:
- Q1 x 2
- Q2 x 2
- S1 x 1
- Q3 x 2
- Q4 x 2
- For semester classes, final grades will be determined by averaging Q3 and Q4 grades.
- Refunds for AP Exams
- We believe the accommodations provided by CollegeBoard in this time of distance learning will be extremely beneficial for our students (click here for CollegeBoard updates), and as a result, we highly recommend that ALL AP students take their AP exam(s).
- Parents of students who choose not to take their AP Exam must complete this online form by Monday, April 27 to request a refund.
- The Governor and the Ohio General Assembly enacted House Bill 197 to address issues raised by the coronavirus pandemic. This legislation states that Ohio students who were on track to graduate at the time of the ordered school-building closure will be permitted to graduate on time in the spring of 2020.
- We recognize the importance and tradition of our high school graduation ceremony. Our current graduation date will be postponed. If we are unable to have a formal ceremony in person, we will find ways to recognize and celebrate our graduates virtually. For now, please hold June 28 and July 26 on your calendar to celebrate the class of 2020. We will share additional details as we learn more from the Governor regarding large public gatherings.
- All students are required to meet with their mentor via Google meet by April 30. Mentors are reaching out to students directly. Seniors will also use this time to finalize their Senior Declarations.
- Service Hours
- Any Christian Service Hours offered during campus closures must be documented online via La Salle’s website under Campus Ministry or this link. This includes time spent volunteering somewhere or helping a neighbor, family or friend. Please maintain social distancing and follow safety protocols set by the CDC.
- Any seniors still in need of completing their graduation requirement for Christian Service Hours will receive an email from the Campus Ministry team with more details.
- LYSIT Summer Opportunities
- At this point in time, all LYSITs will be canceled. We will work with each student, his family and his donors to work through the refund procedures. All students and parents will receive an email with more details. We are already working with our great non-profit partner agencies to set our dates for the summer of 2021.
- School Facilities/Grounds Remain Closed
- Per the Governor’s orders and OHSAA, all schools, playgrounds and athletic facilities are closed and use of our facilities by outside groups has also been suspended until further notice.
- Spring Sports
- With the closure of the school for the remainder of the year, all spring sports have been canceled.
- Spring sports uniforms will need to be turned back into the school. Teams will receive communication from our athletic director on when and how that process will be handled.
- We will follow the latest directives when determining the status of summer conditioning programs for our student-athletes. Look for communication from our athletic director and coaches about summer conditioning.
- Grades from the fourth quarter will determine each student-athlete’s athletic eligibility for the first quarter of the 2020-21 school year.
- Summer Camps
- Summer camps and programs hosted by La Salle High School this summer have been placed on hold. The current summer camp schedule will be re-evaluated as we near the beginning of those scheduled camps. Information will be updated on our website.
- Status of 2020-21 School Year
- No specific decisions have been made at this time on the status of our buildings being re-opened in August. The state continues to monitor the status of the COVID-19 outbreak and our ability to resume normal activities.
We will be sending a separate update for seniors and their families with more information regarding prom, Senior Declarations, awards and graduation. Please keep an eye on your inbox for the latest news for our awesome class of 2020.
Enjoy the sunshine and as always, please let us know if you need assistance with anything. As a reminder, key contacts can be found here on our website.
Live Jesus in our hearts...